1 Samuel 8:1-9
Community Group Questions
- What motivated the elders in Israel to ask Samuel to appoint a king for them? What did Samuel think about their request, and why?
- It seems the issue is about Samuel (he is getting older, his sons aren’t like him), but God tells Samuel that the issue is really about God. How so?
- Have you ever gotten exactly what you asked for, and then wondered why you asked for it in the first place? What is so wrong and dangerous about wanting your own way? Are we not qualified to make our own decisions and decide what is best for us? What must our attitude be towards the Lord?
- Saul wasn’t the end of the story, nor was David after him. Who is, and why is this important to understand?
Family Worship Questions
- Read 1 Samuel 8:1-9 & Discuss:
- What do you think they mean by “like all the nations?” Why did the people want a king?
- Who does God say they rejected in wanting a king? Who was their king?
- What are the reasons that the Israelites and we want God to do things our way? How do we make decisions in a way pleasing to the Lord?
- Sing: All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name.