Sermon Application Questions
- Can you define “redemption?” Can you think of some examples of how we commonly refer to redemption, i.e. “he redeemed himself with that last-minute field goal?” How does Paul’s use of the word differ from our common use of the word? Does it differ?
- What accomplished redemption for the faithful in Christ Jesus? Did we redeem ourselves by making good choices, straightening things out, trying to do the right thing, etc? What was the price for our redemption?
- Paul speaks of redemption and forgiveness as describing the same reality (Colossians 1:14). In redemption, who is being rescued from what? In forgiveness, who is being rescued from whom?
- What are the “riches” of God’s grace? How much do we receive as believers in Jesus Christ? Was God, shall we say, stingy with them? And if not, what does it tell us about God?
- What does God give us in addition to redemption and forgiveness? Are we simply delivered and that is that, left to live our lives however we see fit? Or is there more, and why, and for what purposes (hint: look closely at verse 8)?
Family Worship Questions
- Read Ephesians 1:7-8 & Discuss:
- Note: Here is an excellent article to prepare for discussing “redemption.” [https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org/trevinwax/2014/01/23/atonement-thread-redemption/]
- How would you define “redemption?” Have you ever heard someone talk about redeeming an item? What did that mean? How does that compare with how God has redeemed us?
- What was the price of our redemption? [Article: http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/the-price-of-our-redemption/] How should this great cost paid by Christ grow our love for him? Do we deserve it?
- What does “grace” mean? If grace is a free gift, how do we receive forgiveness and redemption?
- Sing: Come Behold the Wondrous Mystery.