2 Timothy 4:16-18
Sermon Application Questions
- Read Psalm 22. How many similarities can you find between that psalm and what Paul writes in 2 Timothy? Who else referenced Psalm 22 (see verse 1 for a hint), and in what context?
- Who abandoned whom, and why?
- Who is standing by whom, and for what purpose?
- In verse 18, is Paul saying that he will never have any problems, that no “evil deed” will ever befall him? That everything will always be wonderful? What is Paul’s ultimate expectation even though he goes through difficult times?
- Why does Paul tell Timothy about his experience? Is it all about Paul? What does Paul want others to do and believe based upon his own experience? Who is Paul following as a model?
Family Worship Questions
- Read 2 Timothy 4:16-18 & Discuss:
- What do you think it would feel like to be arrested for sharing the gospel? How do you think Paul felt when no one else came to defend him?
- Who was his help? What do you think it means when he says that “the Lord stood by me and strengthened me?” How have you felt strengthened by God in sharing the gospel?
- How does knowing that the Lord will rescue us empower us to share the gospel more?
- Sing: Be Thou My Vision.