Sermon Application Questions
- Who are the tax collectors and sinners of our day? Who are the Pharisees and scribes? What are the things that we commonly grumble about? How do we normally react when people different from us come into the church or are saved?
- What is the reaction of the man who finds his sheep and the woman who finds the coin? How should we rejoice when people are saved?
- What do you think Jesus means when he says “there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance?” Do you think they really need no repentance?
- What do you think that the younger son desired that made him ask for the inheritance? What is it that the “far country” offers that is so enticing to people? What are the allurements of the “far country” today? When the money runs out what does he learn about his father? What does the younger son think the answer to his problem is? The younger son desires to work for the father, but what does he receive? How does this help us to understand grace?
- What does the fathers response to the younger son’s return tell us about God?
- What is the reaction of the older brother when he hears what has taken place? How does he treat his father? How does his response to his father in verse 29 show what he thinks of the father? What did he think should have earned him his father’s love? How do we try to earn God’s favor? What should be the motivation for doing good works?
Family Worship Questions
- Read Luke 15:1-32 & Discuss:
- What does it mean to “grumble?” What are things that you grumble about? What are the Pharisees and scribes grumbling about? Why do you think they are upset that Jesus eats with these people?
- How can we rejoice when people who don’t know Jesus come to know him and believe in him?
- Why do you think the younger son wanted to leave home? What is it that happens while he is in the far country? What causes him to come home? How can we remember the greatness of God?
- What reaction does the older brother have when his father celebrates his brothers return? Why is he angry? How should he have responded?
- What does the father in the story tell us about God? What are some characteristics it teaches us?
- Sing: Lord I Need You