Sermon Application Questions
- Why is it important to remember our lives before Christ? Shouldn’t we simply forget the way that we were? Distant memories, no?
- How does remembering what we used to be like before Christ help us to understand who we are now in Christ?
- Paul paints a pretty bleak picture for the Gentiles (who wouldn’t have called themselves Gentiles, by the way). What things did the “commonwealth” or “citizenship” of Israel have that the Gentiles did not have, and what was their attitude towards them?
- Wait a minute. How did the “commonwealth of Israel” have Christ? Isn’t Paul speaking largely of a time before the Incarnation? How do the “covenants of promise” fit into this?
- What is your view towards unbelievers? Do you have a soft heart? Hard heart? Unconcerned heart? Superior heart? Think of how your life supports (either positively or negatively) your view.
Family Worship Questions
- Read Ephesians 2:11-13 & Discuss:
- Who are the two groups of people that Paul is referring to in this passage? What is the difference between the Jews/the commonwealth of Israel and the Gentiles/everyone else? What was special about them? (Read verse 12)
- What do you think Paul means when he says that people apart from Christ “have no hope and are without God in the world?” What does that look like?
- What do you think Paul means by “you who once were far off have been brought near”?
- Sing: Come to Me