Luke 24:50-53, Acts 1:6-11
Community Group Questions
- Before this sermon how have you thought about the Ascension?
- How does the Ascension help us understand the incarnation? Why does it matter that Jesus still has a physical body even though he is now in heaven? What is the importance of his continued incarnation for our daily lives?
- How does the Ascension help us understand Jesus as our Victorious King? How does Jesus as the ascended king change how we relate to earthly governments and nations? Does this change how we pray for our leaders? If so, how?
- How does the Ascension help us understand Jesus as our Great High Priest? What is the work of Jesus as priest now that he has ascended to heaven? How does that change how we pray? What comfort does it provide to believers that they have a Great High Priest in heaven who still has our flesh?
- Why do you think that the disciples after seeing Jesus ascend in Luke 24:52 “returned to Jerusalem with great joy?” Why were they not sad at his departure?
- How does the Ascension give us boldness to live Christian lives in a world that does not agree with our beliefs?
Family Worship Questions
- Read Hebrews 4:14-16 and Discuss:
- The author says to “hold fast to our confession,” what is our confession? What things can we do every day that will help us to hold on to our confession?
- What is the job of a priest in the Old Testament? How is Jesus our priest? What does “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses” mean? Why is it encouraging that Jesus became flesh?
- How does the fact that Jesus shares in our flesh (weakness) give us confidence to pray? Why are our prayers heard by God?
- Sing: Before the Throne of God Above.