Sermon Application Questions
- How is this text applicable today, after all we don’t have bondservants? Do you think that the relationship between a master and slave is the same as an employer and employee? Why?
- How do you think obedience of a bondservant looked when done with “fear and trembling,” “a sincere heart,” and “as to Christ?”
- These verses fall under the section where Paul is telling the Ephesians to walk in wisdom, why do you think the relationship between husband and wives, parents and children, and masters and slaves fall in this category? What does walking in wisdom in these areas have to do with the cosmic and common realities we’ve learned from the letter?
- How do you think bondservants lived this out with an unbelieving and harsh master? How do you think masters lived this out with an unbelieving bondservant?
- How can this apply to our life as an employee and employer today? Why is this important to the kingdom of God? How does our real Master in heaven change our work?
- How do we experience the reality of verse 8 in our lives today? What do we receive?
Family Worship Questions
- Read Ephesians 6:5-9 & Discuss:
- How do we work for others in our lives, bosses, teachers, etc, as if we would if Christ were our boss or teacher?
- How would you explain “eye-service” and “people-pleasers”? What are some ways that we are people-pleasers?
- What do you think it means that our Master is in heaven? How does that change how we work, study, and live?
- Sing:Behold Our God