Community Group Questions
- What is significant about the gospel writers describing the discovery of the resurrection as taking place on the “first day of the week?” Why was it a “new day?”
- Who and what did the women expect to find at the tomb? What do you expect to find in your life? What do you expect to find when you go looking for God? Do you seek God, or does he seek you, or both? Why does it matter who seeks who, and what comfort can we take from it?
- Compare Luke’s account of the resurrection to those of Matthew, Mark, and John. What is the same? What is different?
- God sends angels, or divine messengers, to the tomb. Why? What did they say, and why? How does God communicate with us today?
- Have you ever learned of the work of God and thought it was an “idle” tale? Maybe too good to be true? Where do we draw the line between cynicism and discernment?
Family Worship Questions
- Have you ever been surprised by something new or unexpected? How did you feel? Were you excited? Scared? Confused?
- How does God use his angels? What kinds of things do they do, and what do they tell us about God himself?
- What does it mean to “rise” from the dead?
- Why is it important that the women at the empty tomb remember the words of Jesus? Why did Jesus tell them ahead of time what was going to happen? How did he know?
- Have you ever told a story (not a lie!) that nobody believed? Was it frustrating? Why were you not believed? Why did the others not believe the women?
- How do we know about the empty tomb, of the resurrection of Jesus Christ?
- Sing: How Deep the Father’s Love For Us