1 Corinthians 1:26-31
Community Group Questions
- What is the difference between God’s standards and worldly standards? Why would we be temped to rely on what is impressive by the world’s standards?
- According to this passage, why does God choose those who are not wise, not powerful, without a noble birth, weak, and despised?
- How does acknowledging our own weakness bring glory to God?
- We are given the instruction in verse 31 to “boast in the Lord.” How is this boasting different than other boasting? What reasons do we have to boast in the Lord?
- How does boasting in the Lord benefit others in their walk with Christ?
Family Worship Questions
- Read 1 Corinthians 1:26-31 & Discuss:
- [Note: It may be helpful to read Deuteronomy 7:6-11 and Ephesians 1:3-6 to see that God’s choice is based on his love for us. Also, The Message is a very helpful paraphrase for understanding this text and can be found online.]
- What does it mean to boast? Why do we boast about something like a school, or a team, or something we’ve done?
- What are things in our life that we boast about? Have you ever boasted to someone else about something?
- In verse 26, how does Paul describe the Corinthians before they became believers? (not the best and the brightest, not influential, not from upper class) Why did God choose them? How does God choosing us change what we boast in? Why does it change what we boast in?
- Sing: Jesus Thank You.