Sermon Application Questions
- How does Paul view his imprisonment? What does that say about his understanding of God’s sovereignty? What does it mean that God has a stewardship of grace? What exactly was given to Paul by grace?
- What do we mean by mystery? How does the Bible define a mystery?
- Who are the “holy apostles and prophets?” What do you think are the implications of Gentiles being fellow heirs? What is “the promise in Christ Jesus?”
- What do you think Paul means when he says “that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places?” How does that change what we think about the church? What then is the purpose of the church?
- How do you think that the mystery being hidden for ages serves God’s “eternal purpose?” Paul states that this plan was “accomplished in Christ Jesus,” how did Christ accomplish God’s plan? If you were to summarize what God’s plan is (as much as we can know from Scripture) what would you say it is?
- How should the fact that “we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in him” change the way we live, pray, think, play, etc?
Family Worship Questions
- Read Ephesians 3:1-13 & Discuss:
- What does it mean to be a prisoner? Did Paul do something wrong? Why do you think he says he is a prisoner of Christ?
- What does “mystery” mean today? What did it mean to Paul? How is the gospel a mystery?
- What is the purpose of the church? Paul says “that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places.” How does that change what we think of the church?
- What do you think God’s plan is? How does the fact that his plan is eternal change how we think about God?
- Sing:All I Have Is Christ