- What is the context of Ephesians 5? If you had to summarize Paul’s concern, instructions, and foundational theology in this chapter in a sentence or two, could you do it?
- In verse 20, Paul instructs the church at Ephesus to adopt a posture and attitude of thankfulness. How is thankfulness demonstrated in our hearts, words, and actions?
- For what kinds of things do we “give thanks?” Only the good things? Not for the bad? What are “good” and “bad” things anyways?
- What kind of Christian is described inverses 19-20? Is this someone you would either want to be, or be around? Why or why not? Who would be the opposite of the person described in verses 19-20?
- Is it possible to truly give thanks when you don’t “feel” like being thankful? On what basis do we give thanks in the first place, and why is that significant?
Family Worship Questions
1. Read Ephesians 5:18-20 & Discuss:
- Why does Paul tell us to be thankful? To whom does Paul say we should be thankful?
- Do you have to feel like being thankful to be thankful? What do we do when we don’t feel like being thankful?
- What are some ways that you can show you are thankful to God?
- How are thankfulness and Jesus connected?
2. Sing: There is a Fountain