Sermon Application Questions
- Paul begins the first chapter of Ephesians with an introduction and then immediately writes of the blessings of God. From there he describes, one by one, the blessings that we have in Christ, starting with God’s choosing of the saints “before the foundation of the world.” Why does Paul start with this? What is significant about God’s choice “before the foundation of the world?”
- Paul writes that we are “blessed in Christ,” and then writes that we are “chose(n) in (Christ).” If blessings come only through Christ, what does it mean to be chosen in Christ? What is Paul communicating about salvation?
- For what end did the “God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ” choose us in Christ? What does it mean to be “holy and blameless” when we stand before him one day, and what does it mean to be “holy and blameless” now? How should our future expectation affect our present reality?
Family Worship Questions
- Read: Ephesians 1:1-4 & Discuss:
- What does it mean that God chose us? How should that increase our love and gratitude toward God?
- For what reason did he chose us? What does it mean for us to be holy and blameless? How would our lives look different if we lived out that we are chosen by God to be holy and blameless? How would that change what we talk about? what we think? what we do?
- Sing: The Church’s One Foundation.