Sermon Application Questions
- This passage is known as the “Great Commission.” Why? What is “great” about it? And to what are the eleven disciples being commissioned?
- Are the words of Jesus only for the eleven original disciples? Why is it important to understand these words as reverberating down through the ages to all disciples of Jesus Christ?
- What does the authority of Jesus Christ have to do with the commands of Jesus Christ? In other words, why verse 18?
- What does Jesus tell his disciples to do? Where does he tell them to go? Who is to be under their influence, and what is to be their response?
- What is discipleship? Why is it so important to Jesus, and why is it so important to the mission of the church?
- The disciples of Jesus Christ, then and now, are to be focused on a mission of discipleship, obedient in baptism, and faithful in their teaching. What does this look like in the Christian life?
Family Worship Questions
- Read Matthew 28:18-20 & Discuss:
- What does it mean to “make disciples?” Who are people we know that need to hear the gospel? What are ways we could share the gospel with them?
- What are the two things Jesus tells them to do in making disciples? What is baptism? What are examples of things Jesus has commanded believers? How do we live out what Jesus has commanded us?
- Why do you think Jesus tells them “I am with you always?” What hope does that give to us?
- Sing: Christ Is Risen